Sunday, February 5, 2012

Module 2. Compelling Experience and Education #1 (Film and Television)

Nowadays, we are very much used to being stimulated by all of our five senses at once. Our young students and children are a totally different generation from us, in that they are much more familiar with all kinds of different stimulations. My five year old son sometimes does not understand why the radio only has audio capabilities. When I try to listen to music or a podcast in the car with him, he certainly asks me to turn on the screen together. He thinks that the music/podcast always has some visual component as well. I have asked myself whether TV and Film are always more compelling than radio or the photograph, because they provide several sensory stimulation at once. However, my answer is “no”. I remember some stories that I heard from the radio, which is much more vivid and impressive than what I have watched from TV. What makes one more compelling than others?
Through this module, we have watched and read a few articles and videos about making films. How the directors and editors design their film is the key point of this subject. Using the same recipe of story, actors, light, and sound, they can create totally different films from others, depending on how they design the components. It was interesting to read how similar/different research from making films (Filmmaking and Research: An Intersection). I think this article shows great connections between making compelling films and effective teaching experiences. Both making compelling films and teaching require significant understanding of the subject matter: what to talk about, what the main theme is about, how to express it, which one should be emphasized, which one should be minimized for effective expression, and what the purpose about it is? There are some different parts between making films and teaching. The compelling films need to be neither necessarily, informative, or true.
However, if their unique nature is used in each other’s design process, both the making of films and teaching can be improved. Using intensive visual stimulations, auditory stimulations, and showing real social context about the subject through the video would bring great expansion in the learning progress. The most interesting thing that I found in this week from the readings is that the film contains the social context of the subject matter. It is an important factor of practical learning. Next week, I am planning to make a short video, and I am expecting that I can have a more close experience regarding this aspect.     

No comments:

Post a Comment