Sunday, April 1, 2012

Module 4. The nature and design of compelling music #2

I discussed last week, if the musical elements (rhythm, melody, and harmony) are compared to the composition and organization of the knowledge, I think the performance elements (instrumentation, tempo, dynamics) are compared to the teacher’s own skills in the learning/teaching process. Depending on how the music is performed by the artists/singers, the music can be totally different.
      This week, after I tried to analyze my chosen music, I realized that the listener’s skills can be compared to the student’s skills in the learning process. As an amateur listener, I did my best to find out the hook part and the clear reasons which make me feel this music more compelling than others.  Even if I feel it, the ways to express my thoughts and feelings were very limited. The analyzing process is not easy : Finding the hook/appealing part, listening to the music very carefully for several times, making analogies with other fields, understanding the music as a whole, and dividing it as a part.
I think the student’s skills are similar with these process. The students need to find out the most important part in the subject matter, review several times for a deeper understanding, make appropriate analogies with other subject matters, understand the whole part, and also each different part is a very important skill for the students.
As we also need to learn the new terms for the music, the students should learn the ways to express their new knowledge. They can be the new vocabularies, or arts. Communicating with others about their learning is the key element and one of the popular ways of communicating with others is art and music. We try to understand arts and music and explain this with writing. We learn from the writing and try to explain this new knowledge with arts and music.    

No comments:

Post a Comment